lunes, 6 de octubre de 2014

Roger Wolfe

I enjoy reading all kind of books in my freetime but, last year, I specially like poetry. When I was at high school, our Latin teacher always motivated me and my classmates to read and to whatch films. She has written an interesting poetry book, which is one of my favourite poetry books. Her name is Noelia and she´s the best teacher I´ve ever had. She´s cultured, funny, curious and intellectually restless. She knows some poets, such as Roger Wolfe, Luis Alberto de Cuenca or Jose María Álvarez. Sometimes we used to talk about poetry and we read some poems in class. On the last school day, she gave us a surprise: she got to bring Roger Wolfe to our class to recite his poetry to us! I love Wolfe´s poems! When he finished, we got close him to take a photo together and talk with him! For that I love my teacher Noelia. 
One of the poems I liked is called "Words" and is this:

Words are useless, stubborn, twisted
like screws that won’t go in straight.
And they tire me. But they are all I have.
The playthings of a poor boy.
They lie gutted all around me.
All their magic spills out of their open bowels.
Their inner workings long ago stopped being
intriguing or attractive.
There’s no challenge. There’s no spark. There’s no color.
The world is as gray as my disgust.
Words are the columns of my fatigue.
But they are – I have said it, I repeat – all I have. 

1 comentario:

  1. Hey, your teacher Noelia is great. What's the title of her poetry book?
    Apart from that, you know what? Roger Wolfe came to Murcia last weekend. He taught a poetry course in the "Cuartel de Artillería". I couldn't go but I hope we have a new chance in the future.

    Some corrections:

    * in my free time
    * but, last year, I especially enjoyed reading poetry
    *

    ResponderEliminar